Saturday 12 October 2013

Research on Fairies

Before I start properly design the Fairies I wanted to do a bit of research of Fairies so that I could hopefully understand their species more.

FAIRY

One of a class of supernatural beings, generally conceived as having a diminutive human form and possessing magical powers with which they intervene in human affairs.
 
PIXY


In the folklore of southwestern England, tiny elflike spirit or mischievous fairy dressed in green who dances in the moonlight to the music of frogs and crickets. Its favourite pastimes are leading travelers astray and frightening young maidens. Pixies also delight in rapping on walls, blowing out candles, and playing in water. Pixies were first discussed at some length by Mrs. Anna Eliza Bray in The Borders of the Tamar and the Tavy, 3 vol. (1837)
 
NYMPH 

One of a numerous class of lesser deities of mythology, conceived of as beautiful maidens inhabiting the sea, rivers, woods, trees, mountains, meadows, etc., and frequently mentioned as attending a superior deity.
 
Source - http://dictionary.reference.com

I felt that the these all 3 creatures are all similar, but nymph was the one I thought it would match in my layouts since it is based on the woodland first. Nymph is a beautiful little creature who lives in the woods, I thought it would go well with the whole idea of Grotto. 
However, I wanted my mythical creatures to be 'small', Nymph are not always designed to be small, so probably the woodland fairy would match with all the points that I wanted to get.

Inspirational Art
 

No comments:

Post a Comment